University of Mississippi

Table of Contents

Tours

  1. Ole Miss Video Tour

    Take a virtual tour of our "Most Beautiful Campus"

    Stops

    1. Lyceum

      Begun July 14, 1846, and completed in 1848, the Lyceum is of stately Ionic Greek Revival design and bricks thought to have been made from clay at the site. Its architect was William Nichols. The building was lengthened in 1858, two flanking wings added in 1903, and the west facade in 1923. The entire building was renovated from 1998-2000. The sole survivor of the five original buildings, it has remained the principal administration building. The Lyceum bell is believed to be the oldest college bell in America. The Class of 1927 donated the clock above the east portico. The Lyceum was used as a hospital during the Civil War. Bullet marks on the front columns are a reminder of the violence of 1962, when James Meredith enrolled as the university’s first African-American student.

    2. Martindale

      The building was used by the Department of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation until 1983 and was originally the University Gymnasium. Representatives of the English, history, theatre and library departments have also called this building home. In 1997, it was renamed Martindale Hall and now serves as the Student Services Center.

    3. The Quad

    4. J.D. Williams Library

      The main library building was completed in 1951, with the west wing added in 1970. The library was named in honor of Chancellor Emeritus J.D. Williams in 1979. A major renovation and expansion project was completed in 1996, increasing the total square footage of the library to almost 200,000 square feet of space.

    5. Conner/Holman Hall

      Conner Hall, completed in 1961 and named in honor of Gov. Martin Sennett Conner, housed the School of Business Administration and the School of Accountancy until 1997. Completely renovated in 1998, Conner Hall provides administrative and faculty offices for the School of Accountancy, as well as multimedia classrooms and computer laboratories for both business and accountancy classes.

    6. Center for Manufacturing Excellence

      The 47,000-square-foot, three-story building was opened in 2012. The first floor houses a 12,000-square-foot "factory floor," along with three classrooms; the other two floors include office and meeting space for faculty and students. The factory floor has a central assembly area and a final finishing area in addition to three main manufacturing lines: wood, plastic, and metal.

    7. Ventress Hall

      Named for the author of the bill to charter the university and constructed in 1889 as the University Library, the hall, built with a Victorian Romanesque design and turret, housed the School of Law from 1911 to 1930. It was occupied by the State Geological Survey from 1929 to 1963 and then was assigned to the Department of Geology. Significant renovations occurred in 1997, and in 2012, the entire structure was renovated, including new interiors and upgrades to all building mechanical systems. Ventress is currently home to the College of Liberal Arts. It was the first major building constructed after the Civil War. Above the stairs, an original Tiffany stained glass window depicts a mustering of the University Greys, a company of Ole Miss students and faculty who fought in the Civil War. The University Greys fought at the Battle of Gettysburg and participated in the infamous Pickett’s charge. Every member was wounded or killed at the Battle of Gettysburg.

    8. School of Pharmacy

      Built to house the School of Pharmacy, Faser Hall was completed in 1969 and renovated in 2007. It was named for former School of Pharmacy Dean Henry Minor Faser. The building also houses the Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences.

    9. The Grove

      The heart of campus is a beautiful haven for students and a nationally known tailgating venue on football game days. Boasting 10 acres of trees, picnic tables and a stage, the Grove is a spot where many memories have been made.

       

    10. Gertrude C. Ford Center for the Performing Arts

      The Gertrude C. Ford Center for the Performing Arts officially opened in 2003.  It is a state-of-the-art, 26 million dollar performing arts center, funded by the Gertrude Ford Foundation.  It has a 1200 seat auditorium and a studio theater and houses an average of 150 events annually.

      It has hosted numerous shows, lectures and performances including the first Presidential debate in 2008 between then Senator Barack Obama and Senator John McCain.
    11. Ole Miss Alumni Association

      The Triplett Alumni Center opened in 1951 and houses all staff and operations pertaining to Alumni Affairs on the Oxford campus. The Alumni Center, adjacent to The Inn at Ole Miss, is equipped with a large entrance, Butler Auditorium, restrooms and office suites. The Alumni Center was remodeled in 1997 and again in 2010. The building is open from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and on home football game days.

       

    12. Luckyday Residential College

      101 Faculty Row

      University, MS 38677

       

    13. Greek Life

    14. Sally Barksdale Honors College

      This building was constructed in 1971 and was the home of Alpha Delta Pi social sorority. The university purchased the building in 1996 with funds donated by alumni James and Sally Barksdale. The building houses the Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors College and is being enhanced with an addition and complete renovation of the existing structure. Work on the addition will begin in January 2014, and it will open in June 2015. Renovation of the existing structure will begin immediately after the addition opens and will be completed in January 2016.

       

    15. Farley Hall

      Built in 1929 to house the School of Law and enlarged in 1959, Farley Hall was renovated for use by the University Archives blues collection, Music Library, Ole Miss yearbook staff, The Daily Mississippian, and the Department of Journalism. The building is named in honor of three generations of a family associated with the university since its founding: Robert Joseph Farley, a member of the university’s first law class; his son, Leonard J. Farley, dean of the School of Law 1913-1921; and his grandson, School of Law Dean Robert Joseph Farley. Recently, it has been fully renovated and houses the Department of Journalism only. An addition to the east accommodates the Overby Center for Southern Journalism and Politics.

       

    16. Barnard Observatory

      Begun in 1857 and completed in 1859 during the administration of Chancellor Barnard, the building is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Barnard Observatory was designed to house the largest telescope in the world and to provide unrivaled quarters for the Department of Physics and Astronomy, which was housed in the west wing until 1939. The east wing, which served as the chancellor’s residence until 1971, became headquarters for the Center for the Study of Southern Culture in 1979. The entire building was renovated from 1990-92 for the Center for the Study of Southern Culture. The telescope’s delivery was prevented by the outbreak of the Civil War and instead went to the Chicago Astronomical Society, which later transferred it to Northwestern University where it is still in use today. This building was also used as a hospital during the Civil War. After World War II, the Navy ROTC used sections of the building, and it later became a sorority house.

       

    17. Ole Miss Athletics

    18. The Student Union

      Completed in 1976, the Union contains conference rooms, offices for student government and other groups, a food court, a ballroom, automatic bank tellers, game room, lounge areas, and a multipurpose room. The building also houses the University Post Office, the Ole Miss Bookstore, a satellite office of University Police, and the UM Box Office.

    19. Minor Residence Hall

      363B Rebel Drive

      University, MS 38677

    20. Guyton Hall

      Built in 1934 with an annex added in 2010, the Classic Revival style building originally was the University Hospital and housed the School of Medicine. The building was named for Dr. B.S. Guyton, who served as dean of the School of Medicine from 1936 to 1943. It has housed the Student Health Service, Air Science Tactics, and the Departments of Aerospace Studies and Military Science. Since a full renovation in 2003, it has been home to the School of Education.

    21. Robert C Khayat Law Center

      The new School of Law building opened in time for the 2011 spring semester. The center was dedicated on April 15, 2011, in honor of Chancellor Emeritus Robert C. Khayat.